The Transfiguration of Christ Orthodox Church of Cēsis with its beautiful turrets can be seen when walking through Cēsis Castle Park.
It is located on the northeastern slope of the park, which opens out to verdant sceneries in the summertime and snowy wonderland in wintertime.
Already in the 14th century, when Saint John’s Church could no longer accommodate the many worshippers from the vicinity of Cēsis, Saint Catherine’s Church was built here. Unfortunately, it was left in ruins after the Great Northern War.
In 1845 count Karl Eberhard von Sievers, the owner of Cēsis New Castle and Manor, ordered a new church to be built on the ruins of Saint Catherine’s Church in Byzantine style.
The walls of the Transfiguration of Christ Orthodox Church of Cēsis were constructed of dolomite stone, and the congregation premises were decorated in gothic style, just like in the old church.
Johann Köehler, pioneer of Estonian national art, assisted in creating the church’s interior.
You can see altar piece The Resurrection of Christ (Kristus augšāmcelšanās) inside the church and the Sievers family vault in the church garden.