Krimulda Church was built in 1206 and is the oldest church in Latvia that is active and operating on a 24/7 basis. Over time, it has been repeatedly destroyed and restored. In 1905 a 46m high church tower was built. The bell of the Church that was consecrated in 1895 has been preserved to date.
Lily Labyrinth of Kaupo was opened in 2002, not far from Krimulda Church. A symbolic lily flower was created at the centre of the labyrinth. The legend goes that the Livonian king Kaupo saw a white lily flower in his dream, while protecting Krimulda Church.
History Exhibition Pages of the History of Krimulda 13th-19th Centuries. The Traveller’s house tells the history of the Krimulda Region. In the Middle Ages, Kubesele or Krimulda Congregation and Krimulda Castellany were a part of Livonia and belonged to the Archbishopric of Riga. Krimulda was the largest and most profitable castellany under the control of Riga Cathedral Chapter. The history of the region has enriched the cultural and historical heritage of Latvia throughout the centuries. Across the River Runtiņupīte, the tomb hill of Livonian king Kaupo with the memorial sign by the sculptor Gaida Grundberga can be seen. Next to the sign a large boulder is situated. It is popularly known as the Kaupo Stone. The neighbourhood of Krimulda Church, formerly known as the area controlled by the Livonian chief Kaupo-Kubesele. The area, which is particularly rich in historical evidence is a part of the cultural and historical area of the Gauja National Park. In September 1204, the Livonian chief Kaupo returned from Rome with a gift from Pope Innocent III – 100 pieces of gold. In 1206, after the conclusion of a treaty with the Livonians, priest Alobrand built a church in Kubesele, the native village of Kaupo. The Livonian Chronicle of Henry goes the church was so wide that raiders would enter it while sitting in their horse-drawn sleds.
Kubesele cave is also called Runtiņš Cave. Legend goes that the Livonian chief Runtiņš was hiding in the cave from pursuers. Kubesele Cave has developed as a result of rock washout gradually caused by groundwater.
The forest path of the Church winds along the River Runtiņupīte to the Saulstari Cliffs and the bank of the River Gauja.
Not far from the estuary of the River Runtiņš into the Gauja, the large boulder or Runtiņš Spring Stone is situated. A powerful spring originates near the boulder and the witnesses of the work of Gauja log rafters – concrete anchor blocks, are situated here.
The trail was created in 2002 by the Administration of the Gauja National Park in co-operation with Krimulda District Council, the congregation of Krimulda Evangelic Lutheran Church, local businessmen and students.